They say there are perks in all jobs. Here is my list of benefits as a babysitter:
- Primarily, you get to meet so many lovely families. – I generally find that the parents I babysit for are those that value their families and their time, and the babysitter. The interactions are respectful, friendly, and genuine. We have fun with the children, and we all enjoy our time.
- Variety in everyday lives – It fascinates me how each family have their own way of doing everyday things. Not only do you see different ethnic cultures, you see the various family cultures. What you think is ‘normal family life’ is not the same as someone else’s ‘normal family life’. Each family have their own unique routines, rules, interests, and ways of interaction. From various activities, preferred sports to a variety of meal and bedtime routines.
- New discoveries – You would think they would have run out of ideas to make parenting easier, apparently not. From inventions such as the swaddler wrap for newborns to the bumbo seat for babies to the grow clocks for toddlers. The designs and inventions just keep developing and I love discovering them in the houses we babysit at.
- Variety of venues – As a babysitter you are invited into family homes, hotels, and corporate facilities. I love seeing the décor people choose and how they incorporate children’s items into their home. I love staying at the wonderful hotels around Perth, even if it is just for a few hours. I enjoy seeing what facilities and educational equipment is implemented for children at crèches and corporate gigs. Variety is definitely on the agenda as a babysitter.
- Flexibility – The hours I work – I choose. I have a family, I have commitments. Being a babysitter allows me to change my available hours each week to suit my family and life. They say work/life balance is the key to maintaining a happy parent/family, babysitting allows this.
- 6. Exercise – yep, what better time to exercise than with kids. Whether it is taking baby for a walk, or kicking the footy with the kids, it is a win win situation for all involved.
- Paid to have fun and learn – I often hear the babysitters that work for the babysitting agency say they can’t believe they get paid to have fun and gain experience. Smiles and laughter are a given at any babysitting job. It may be something said, it may be a face pulled, a game played or a reassuring look, but smiles and laughter are the essence of why we do what we do. And the experience is invaluable. Unsettled babies, challenging children, those with their own special ways of being, all need us to respond in the best way to meet their needs. That response comes with education and best of all, experience.
- Expect the unexpected – You never know when a street address is wrong, or the number of children we are caring for is different to what is advised, or if there are some unusual pets in the house. Go with the flow or expect things to change is a great attitude to adopt, when you are a babysitter. I think it adds to the diverse and fantastic experience of being of this vocation.
Being a babysitter is not for some, and that is okay. For those that genuinely like children and having fun with other people’s kids, there are so many perks to the role.
To join the Cherished Cherubs Babysitter team, visit Cherished Cherished Recruitment.
To book one of our wonderful ladies please call us on 0417 927 525.