Are you ready to enjoy a night free of stepping on plastic army men and tiaras barefoot, no washing crayon off the walls, or picking the apple sauce out of your hair?
Hiring a babysitter, especially for the first time is nerve-wrecking. Trial and error is not an option, but how do you know if you have a good babysitter when you aren’t there?
Here are 7 steps to choosing a good babysitter. Look for these signs to determine a good babysitter:
- They have documents & training – Anyone that has spent the time and money to obtain credentials shows a level of commitment. A valid Working with Children’s Check is essential. You will feel more at ease knowing they also hold their police clearance and first aid certificate. Choose a reputable agency or ask to see their documents.
- They have worked regularly for other families – Testimonials from families are great references.
- They show up and they show up on time – Timeliness shows that the babysitter has organisational skills, is responsible, and is dedicated.
- They smile and say hi when they arrive – You want your children to be with someone that is friendly, has respect and manners. You will be able to see this straight away.
- They ask the appropriate questions – Babysitters need to know your kids’ routines; what food is allowed and bedtimes. If you don’t offer the information an experienced and cluey babysitter will ask.
- They interact well with your children – Babysitters should reach out to the children and seem engaged and at ease with them.
- The kids like them – Ask your children how they felt about the babysitter and if they are excited about her coming back.